Friday, October 25, 2013

Over halfway there

Somehow I am suddenly over 5 months pregnant (23 weeks and 5 days if you want to get specific)! Not sure how that happened.

Yesterday at my midwife appointment I asked to be shown where the top of my uterus was because I had felt punching or kicking higher than I expected to. She did as I asked and we found out that my measurements were averaging four weeks ahead of where I should be at this time. This freaked me out a bit. But I was told not to worry because baby is going through a growth spurt right now so he will likely level off by my next appointment. I am starting to think that he will come slightly early for a few reasons, one being that I felt movement at 16 weeks, which is atypical for first time mothers. When I told Christopher my suspicion he said it was "Awesome!" I asked him why and he said "because we might get to meet him sooner!" I love my husband.

We liked the pediatrician that we visited a few weeks ago very much. They have fire truck exam tables in the patient rooms! Silver Spring Pediatrics would be incredibly convenient because it is just a stone's throw from my husband's office. We were surprised to hear that the practice does ear piercings of newborn baby girls. Is this a thing? Christopher and I gave each other curious glances at this announcement. We haven't made a decision on a pediatrician yet because we have more practices to look into.

On average I still feel great! I have been walking a lot (ask me how we got lost in Wheaton Regional Park last week??) and doing an awesome Pilates DVD that Missy loaned me. I do have a few complaints that I will try to discuss briefly. The afternoon commute home on metro is my most dreaded part of the weekday. The fishy-rubber-tire smell. The jolty stop and go movement. People and their perfume! Ugh. Sometimes I feel like I am eight weeks pregnant again and about to hurl. The other day I even brought a plastic bag just in case. I have been having severe headaches for about a month and a half now because of these crazy hormones. And it is only during the week when i'm at work! At first they would usually come around 10:30-11am and last until I get home around 4:30pm, just awful. I know I can take Tylenol but I am worried about overdoing it. I tried drinking even more water, which is difficult when you're already chugging 72 ounces a day. My boss was kind enough to undo several of the lights in my office and I turned down my monitor brightness. I eat every 2-3 hours. Nothing really helps except acetamenaphen sometimes, but at least their duration has lessened.

This is actually from week 20
The nursery is in progress. We have paint samples up on the wall and have agreed on colors but haven't yet purchased the paint. We have a dresser and chest in there and the crib and mattress were delivered yesterday. I don't know why I was so surprised by the size! I expected it to be smaller even though I have seen Megan's crib a hundred times. That thing is going to feel cavernous to our teeny-tiny little baby!

I have to schedule my one hour glucose tolerance test to screen for gestational diabetes in the next few weeks and I am really not looking forward to that at all.

I leave you with this sonogram photo, which I swore I would never post, but just look at that *lil' nose!

Baby S, 19 weeks
*It is a requirement that pregnant women use the term "lil'" at every possible opportunity.


  1. Haha! Very nice guys. Glad to hear you're doing well. I hope the head aches get better.

  2. My doctor kept telling me my baby was going to be monstrously huge but she ended up being just slightly small so sometimes the measurements aren't that accurate. Hope the headaches level off soon.

    1. Ahh good to hear, I hope you're right! Thank you